Sunday, September 11, 2011

September 11

10 years ago I decided to join a local MOPS group with a friend who also had a little girl. We called the church to register, and our first meeting was set for the 2nd Tuesday in September, the 11th, at 9:30.  My friend, we'll call her Mrs. G, was coming by to pick Emma and me up around 9 and we were going to ride in together. I had Emma ready to go; Mrs. G was running just a bit behind. The phone rang, and it was my mom. She told me about a plane hitting the World Trade Center in New York. I thought surely it surely had to be some sort of freak accident. She said it was possible that it was an attack and either way, we should be praying. I turned on the TV as I was talking to her and saw a picture of the tower with smoke coming from it. As I was talking to her I saw another plane come into the picture. Surely this plane was coming to help or assess the damage so it could help organize the rescue. But just moments later I gasped in the phone as I saw the 2nd plane fly right into the 2nd tower. My mom was still on the other end and she asked me what happened. I told her what I saw and she said, "This is an attack, Michelle. Whatever you do today, be careful, and pray."

Mrs. G soon arrived and I filled her in on what happened. We arrived at MOPS and many of the moms had already heard the news. The leaders there decided to have a time of prayer with us. As a fairly new mom, I felt vulnerable, and I was suddenly aware that there were some things I could not protect my little girl from.

My heart grieves when I think of the September 11th attacks on my country, this land that I love. My heart grieves for those who lost loved ones that day. I can't imagine what it must have been like to be anywhere near there on that day. My heart grieves for the families of those that have given their lives since that day in defending this great nation. My heart will be forever grateful for them and the sacrifice they have made.

God bless America, my home sweet home!

No comments:

Post a Comment